Cadet Staff Positions
Cadet Commander (C/CC)
The Cadet Commander is responsible for all cadet staff under them and for fulfilling the training requirements for both cadre and students. The C/CC coordinates mainly with the Commandant of Cadets, the Cadet Deputy Commander for Operations, the Cadet Deputy Commander for Support, and the Executive Officer. The C/CC ensures that their staff is prepared for and able to meet daily responsibilities and acts as the interface between any senior and cadet cadre. The cadet commander is responsible for:
- Conveying the Commander’s and Commandant’s intent to the cadet cadre
- Ensuring that all cadet cadre are trained prior to encampment and have met the RST and CPPT requirements
- Planning and executing the Staff Selection Day
- Planning and executing any and all training weekends
- Coordinating with the C/CDO and the C/CDS
- Direct superior to the Plans and Programs OIC, Executive Officer, and Command Chief
- Ensuring that the training schedule is made and executed at encampment
- Overseeing all related pre-planning and coordination
- Overseeing daily encampment activities and adherence to the training schedule
- Making final decision on all honors (eg. honor flight, warrior cadet etc.) with input from appropriate cadet staff based on subjective and objective criteria and recommends directly to Commandant and Encampment Commander for approval
The Cadet Deputy Commander for Operations reports directly to the C/CC and spends the majority of their time involved with line staff operations. The C/CDO implements the commander’s vision by overseeing all line cadre, working mainly through the Squadron Commanders. The C/CDO is responsible for overseeing all line cadre and works in the following capacities:
- Ensuring that line staff pairings are made
- Communicating all information to the line cadre regarding schedules, events, etc
- Properly mentoring and training squadron commanders (and ensuring squadron commanders are mentoring/training flight sergeants/commanders)
- Tracking key operational issues, training requirements and adherence to training standards in support of the C/CC
- Maintaining effective communication and pass daily feedback/debrief items up and down the chain of command
- Working with Admin OIC to ensure all line cadre have received RST and CPPT
- Coordinating work between line cadre and training officers
- Coordinating daily line cadre awards
The Cadet Deputy Commander for Support reports directly to the Cadet Commander and oversees all cadet support staff. The C/CDS operates mainly through the Officers in Charge (OICs). The C/CDS operates in the following areas:
- Ensuring all OICs and cadre receive schedule and event information
- Ensuring schedule coordination is complete and that all logistical needs are met
- Ensuring daily responsibilities are met by cadet staff assigned to support roles
- Making sure all senior mentors and
OICs are on the same page
Cadet Line Cadre
Sq CCs report directly to the Cadet Deputy Commander for Operations and are responsible for the performance and coordination of their squadron cadre to include flight commanders, first sergeants, and flight sergeants. The Sq CCs must also coordinate with their assigned Training Officers. They are also responsible for mentoring their cadre and students when necessary and for meeting all schedule and encampment requirements.
Cadet First Sergeant
The Cadet First Sergeant is responsible for ensuring that the NCOs of the encampment are familiar with their duties and responsibilities. The Cadet First Sergeant reports to the C/CC, representing the interests of the staff cadet NCOs, as a member of the command staff. They serve as the Cadet Commander’s “eyes and ears” and serve as an example of what the student should strive to be. General duties/responsibilities may include:
- Must maintain and reinforce the ideals and performance of the NCO
- Monitor and implement the physical fitness program
- Provide feedback to the C/CC regarding the effectiveness of the NCOs of the encampment
- Provide feedback and counsel to the flight sergeants regarding their effectiveness and performance as NCOs
- Relieves the Cadet Commander of any routine administrative or informational tasks
The Flight Commander is responsible for the training, performance, and welfare of his or her flight. They are given the training schedule and goals from the Squadron Commander and are tasked with the execution. Flight Commanders are responsible for supervising and training their flight sergeants. General duties may include:
- Fostering cohesiveness, teamwork, and a unity of purpose within the flight
- Ensuring the most effective use of flight time.
- Familiarizing flight members with all rules and procedures as outlined in the Encampment Operating Instructions.
- Training the flight to a measurable proficiency in CAP domain knowledge, drill, uniform wear, and customs and courtesies.Evaluating the performance of their flight sergeants and providing feedback regularly
Flight Sergeants serve as the lowest level of the Non-Commissioned Officer Support Chain. The Flight Sergeant is responsible for training his or her cadets in everything from drill and ceremonies to proper room setup, bed making, etc. When there are gaps in the training schedule, the Flight Sergeant is responsible for filling that time with classes that meet the educational needs of their flight. Flight Sergeants serve as counselors, educators, and cheerleaders for their students. General duties may include:
- Ensuring the implementation of the flight level academic, physical fitness, and training programs.
- Providing instruction and reinforcement of the Encampment Operating Instructions.
- Ensuring the satisfaction of the daily training goals and objectives established by the Flight Commander.
- Ensuring proper uniform wear by students through the use of CAPM 39-1.
- Providing feedback to the Flight Commander on students in their flight.
- Counseling students to the best of their ability.
- Working with Flight Commanders to assign Element Leaders and Guidon Bearers.
- Enforcing of customs and courtesies
Cadet Support Cadre
The Logistics Team keeps Encampment running. They must use time management, math, and hard work in order to support and enable the encampment’s operations. Team members are also responsible for keeping a running list of needed supplies.
- Plan and coordinate all supply needs for the Encampment
- Meet any immediate and routine supply requests
- Coordinate with staff to determine their needs and wants
- Keep perishable or useable supplies in stock (e.g. cleaning supplies, medical gloves, etc.)
- Map out all rooms being used by the Encampment in order to put them back in their original set up at the end of the Encampment
- Perform checklist to determine initial and final condition of issued items, including barracks and support office areas, and note damage
- Ensure all staff members have the necessary supplies, office equipment, and classroom equipmentEnsure encampment support rooms are kept clean
- Meet all encampment communication needs
The Public Affairs Team is responsible for chronicling the Encampment from its staff training events through the graduation pass and review. The Public Affairs Team takes pictures and video, conducts interviews, writes and publishes the daily newsletter, writes and submits news articles to CAP and local press, and produce the capstone Encampment Video that is shown at the awards ceremony. They, also, maintain the Encampment’s social media and website.
- Objectively record and report on encampment activities.
- Ensure that all activities are covered by a Public Affairs team member.
- Upload images and maintain the encampment social media and/or website.
- Produce the annual encampment video.
The Admin unit is responsible for the tracking of all personnel prior to and throughout encampment. They operate in the following areas:
- Ensure all personnel have turned in and completed the required paperwork
- Ensure flight roster(s) are complete
- Ensure that the plan for in–processing and out–processing is completed
- Make and distribute graduation packets
- Check in and out any cadre or students at training weekends and throughout encampment
In conjunction with, and at the direction of the Safety Officer cadet Safety will assist in these areas:
- Administrative Readiness for Safety
- Planning for Safety